Open Position with Department of Conservation and Recreation
Position Title: Seasonal Forestry Assistant – Greening the Gateway Cities (Leominster)
Location: 37 Carter St., Leominster, MA
Start Date: 3/20/17
End Date: 11/17/17
About the Department of Conservation and Recreation:
The Department of Conservation and Recreation manages one of the largest and most diverse state parks systems in the nation and protects and enhances natural resources and outdoor recreational opportunities throughout Massachusetts. DCR is a dynamic agency, and is one of the largest park systems in the nation. The DCR system includes over 450,000 acres of parks, forests, water supply protection lands, beaches, lakes, ponds, playgrounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, golf courses, trails and parkways.
The Department of Conservation and Recreation seeks qualified applicants for the position of Seasonal Forestry Assistant.
The Seasonal Forestry Assistant will work outdoors in all types of weather.
• Assists in the preparation of plans for replanting trees on public and private property in the Gateway Cities. Meets with homeowners to determine proper tree type(s) and location(s).
• Interacts with private land owners to answer questions about replanting operations.
• Assists in the supervision of daily planting operations by state forest crews to ensure trees are planted according to DCR Bureau of Forestry standards.
• Assists Foresters with data collection and management to record locations of planted trees and periodically check their condition.
• Performs related duties such as maintaining records and attending staff meetings.
• Assists in the tree planting operations for the Greening the Gateway Cities Program to increase tree canopy cover for the purpose of reducing heating and cooling energy costs to residences and businesses and to educate private landowners and the public about proper tree selection, care and maintenance.
• Interacts with the public and provides technical advice to landowners about proper tree selection and maintenance.
• Assists Foresters in the supervision of daily tree planting crews to ensure trees are planted according to DCR Bureau of Forestry standards.
• Assists Foresters with maintaining various logs relating to tree planting location and management.
• Performs related duties such as assigned.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time experience in forestry or natural resource management, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate’s or higher degree with a major in forestry or forestry management may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Special Requirements: Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License or equivalent license from the state in which you reside.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply
Official Title: Forestry Assistant
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Leominster-21 Oak Street
Agency: Department of Conservation & Recreation
Posting Date: Mar 1, 2017
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: 1,563.08 Biweekly
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Agatha Summons – 617-626-1282
Bargaining Unit: 09-MOSES – Engineers/Scientists