As ski areas across the state prepare to kick off the important Christmas Holiday Week, Governor Charles D. Baker has just announced a proclamation declaring January 5, 2018 as Massachusetts Learn to Ski or Snowboard Day.
This marks the first time that such an official proclamation has been made recognizing the state’s 12 alpine ski areas. January is also National Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month across the United States which is also strongly supported by the Massachusetts Ski Areas. The Official Proclamation reads:
- Whereas The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has 12 alpine ski areas spread throughout the state offering a variety of terrain for all ability levels, and
- Whereas Massachusetts Ski Areas offer skiing and snowboarding for all ages with excellent instructional programs and rental equipment, and
- Whereas skiing and snowboarding provide healthy, family-oriented, outdoor, life-long physical activities, and
- Whereas Massachusetts ski areas generate more than 1.5 million skier visits annually and are a major contributor to the state’s tourism economy during the winter, and
- Whereas introducing new kids and adults to learn to ski or snowboard through the ski areas’ numerous instructional programs is important to inspire families to learn the sport and engage in new experiences together to share adventures that will last a lifetime; and
- Whereas this year, we celebrate more than 75 years of skiing in the Commonwealth from small hills near Boston to the mountains in the Berkshires, our ski area partners throughout the state who help us promote these recreational resources of our Commonwealth, and
- Whereas We invite every Massachusetts resident, whether a kid or kid at heart, to learn to ski or snowboard and share your adventures @MassLearntoSkiDay, @MassLearntoSnowboardDay, #skiMA to inspire others to experience our incredibly diverse ski areas and to continue a rich legacy of this New England wintertime sport for recreation “close to home” for the benefit and well-being of the people of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and
Now, Therefore, I, Charles D. Baker, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, do hereby proclaim January 5, 2018 to be MASSACHUSETTS LEARN TO SKI OR SNOWBOARD DAY and urge all the citizens of the Commonwealth to take cognizance of this event and participate fittingly in its observance.
The Massachusetts Ski Areas Association and Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism have also teamed up for a unique digital advertising campaign launching January 5th on TripAdvisor promoting learning to ski or snowboard at one of the state’s 12 ski areas. The theme of the campaign is to remind travelers that Massachusetts ski areas are an ideal place to learn to ski or snowboard. Ski areas throughout Massachusetts offer learn to ski packages which included beginner lessons, rental equipment and beginner lift tickets.